Monday, September 22, 2008

Running through nature

I'm still recovering a bit this morning from a 20 mile run yesterday. (I'm training for the Chicago Marathon on October 12). Typically I train along the lake in the city, but this past weekend I went home and spent some time with my family in Naperville. As I thought about where I'd run on Sunday I remembered a beautiful dirt trail that winds through trees, prairies, over streams and next to old railroad tracks at Waterfall Glen park. A bit nervous Sunday morning, I laced up my shoes and headed out. It was a cool morning, perfect temperature for a long run. As I became immersed in the trail I looked around and became extremely appreciative of what nature provides us - simplicity. The word natural to me means clean, pure, untouched, truest self. I love living in the city but at times the "the concrete jungle" can be a bit much - dusty, loud, congested, tense. Running in a peaceful setting, listening to the trees, birds and my breathing was inspirational in that we don't always have to overthink things in life, sometimes the most simple answer is the best one.

As I ran, I thought about stopping to take photos with my cell phone but I don't think it would've done the trail justice. If you enjoy hiking, walking, running, or biking I suggest visiting Waterfall Glen.


On another note, I received an e-mail this morning from a former intern about his work in Malden, Missouri at a campaign office for Barak Obama. His note was witty yet very real as he described the small town and the continued racial divide that still exists today. An exerpt from his e-mail:

Working in the Bootheel definitely has it's challenges. This area has been pretty solidly republican for some time now, and the fact that our candidate is a black man with a funny sounding name doesn't help matters much. Despite my best efforts to fit in (growing out my sideburns, as Lucy suggested), I still get a lot of "you ain't from around here, are ya Boy?" Down here I'm not exactly writing the next, "How to win friends and influence people." But really, this is a tough area to work. A lot of these communities are still pretty racist, and I've had a lot of people openly tell me they won't vote for Barack just because he's black. I'm constantly telling people that he's not actually a Muslim, he doesn't read the Koran, and I'm pretty sure he's not a terrorist. I wish I was kidding when I said I have to dispell those myths.

As I read on, I am inspired by his hard work as he motivates these people to think for themselves and vote while contributing to something bigger than himself. This election is no doubt an interesting one, historical in fact. And he is doing something that will make history some day. What are you doing that will leave a mark on someone's life? How are you inspiring others?

No comments: